Recent Posts

Tuesday 2 September 2014

From The Hermit, Today

Giving Up Control

by The Hermit
Best-Universal-Remote-Controls-Updated
“Today I double up with laughter whenever I realize that I have started ‘managing’ my life once more – something we all do with astounding regularity.  The illusion of control is truly pathetic, but it is also hilarious.  Describing what I most need out of life, carefully calculating my next move, and generally allowing my autonomous self to run amuck inflates my sense of self-importance and reduces the God of my incredible journey to the role of spectator on the sidelines.  It is only the wisdom and perspective gleaned from an hour of silent prayer each morning that prevents me from running for CEO of the universe.  As Henri Nouwen once remarked, ‘One of the most arduous spiritual tasks is that of giving up control and allowing the Spirit of God to lead our lives.”  (Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust)
The Hermit | September 2, 2014 at 9:31 am | Categories: Inspirations | URL: http://littleportionhermitage.org/?p=2223