Recent Posts

Tuesday 27 August 2013

Home Schooling Part Five Religion I



So far, the poll indicates more readers who home school than I anticipated, so I shall continue this mini-series.

Catholic home schoolers can incorporate the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd into their curriculum. http://www.cgsusa.org/

Interestingly, I had Montessori training but did not come across CGS until much later. I actually developed some of the same things as in CGS merely by applying Montessori ideas to religious education.

I need to finish a paper I have here on Montessori and the Catholic child. Then, I shall continue these thoughts, most likely in two days. Stay tuned!

However, the teaching of religion should happen even before baby is born. Saying the rosary out loud while baby is in the womb prepares the child for his relationship with Mary, the Mother of God.

Bible reading can happen immediately as well, One can read Scripture out loud in front of the smallest child to good effect.

I suggest an altar which changes with the liturgical year. I did this, in a little prayer corner, changing the color of the liturgical day and time and setting up special symbols for saint's days.


Of course, a May altar for Mary is an old and wonderful tradition. The more physical and symbolic representations of our faith one has at hand, the better for the child.

Celebrating name days is important and I used  My Nameday: Come For Dessert by Helen McLoughlin
which one can still find. 

Of course, the most important thing home schooling moms can do is take their children to daily Mass. I highly recommend Maria Montessori's Mass Explained to Children which one can order from amazon.com.

Timelines on both Old and New Testament events are excellent for having in the school room. Here are some links. Do not get Protestant ones, as there are discrepancies.




I recommend this as an introduction to the saints, for early grade school with the ones below for pre-schoolers.

Picture Book of Saints: Illustrated Lives of the Saints for Young and Old, Saint Joseph Edition